Coming to CERN
Here is some gathered information that should make it easier for those people who travel to CERN for the first time. Feel free to add & edit!
Documents to bring
- Filled Cern contract or Cern short term contract
NB! Your Teamleader has to sign the contract, the buget code has to be filled. Internal Address (Bergen office): Building 587, Ground Floor, R-031
Where to stay
- Cern hostel: http://housing-service.web.cern.ch/housing-service/hostelwelc.html
How to get to Cern
At the airport, just before you leave the luggage claim area, there are special machines where you can get a free public transport ticket.
Outside of the airport, take Bus 28, Direction: Meyrin-Village. Change to bus 56 Bus, Direction: CERN after a few bus stops.
What to do first at Cern
- Go to the Users office to get your contract fixed (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=USERS+OFFICE:+61-R-010), afterwards you get your key card from the registration office (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=55).
- If you want a key to the Bergen office, go to the ALICE secreteriat and ask for it (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=301, http://aliceinfo.cern.ch/Collaboration/General/secretariat/)
- To rent a bicycle, go here: http://ep-div-smi.web.cern.ch/ep-div-smi/Service_point.html, http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=124
To do shifts
- You need a security course, go to the Registration Service, building 55 (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=55)
- Request access for the counting room in edh: https://edh.cern.ch --> Access Request.
The rooms to request are: ALI-ACR and ALI-COF.
- Have a look into the TPC&TRD shiftguide: http://www-linux.gsi.de/~garabat/meu/ShiftGuide.pdf
- Book your shifts as: https://alicesms.cern.ch/
- Remember to take a shift course and book the necessary shadow shifts.
- You will need access to the ALICE logbook (https://alice-logbook.cern.ch), ask the run coordinator for access.
Dominik 09:53, 24 August 2009 (UTC)