Coming to CERN
Here is some gathered information that should make it easier for those people who travel to CERN for the first time. Feel free to add & edit!
Documents to bring
- Filled Cern contract or Cern short term contract
NB! Your Teamleader has to sign the contract, the buget code has to be filled. Internal Address (Bergen office): Building 587, Ground Floor, R-031
Where to stay
-Cern hostel: http://housing-service.web.cern.ch/housing-service/hostelwelc.html. If it is full, you can still get rooms here on a day-to-day basis. You have to show up at the reception each day when it opens (7.30), and then you usually get an extension of your stay.
- Hint: If you don't have a bed for the night, you can ask the guard later in the evening (after 22/23:00). He gets a list and keys of the empty hostel rooms. These you can usually also get extended - as above.
-St.Genis- (Lies between CERN and ALICE)
-Between CERN and Geneve-
How to get to Cern
At the airport, just before you leave the luggage claim area, there are special machines where you can get a free public transport ticket.
Outside of the airport, take Bus 28, Direction: Meyrin-Village. Change to bus 56 Bus, Direction: CERN after a few bus stops.
What to do first at Cern
- Go to the Users office to get your contract fixed (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=USERS+OFFICE:+61-R-010), afterwards you get your key card from the registration office (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=55).
- If you want a key to the Bergen office, go to the ALICE secreteriat and ask for it (http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=301, http://aliceinfo.cern.ch/Collaboration/General/secretariat/)
- To rent a bicycle, go here: http://ep-div-smi.web.cern.ch/ep-div-smi/Service_point.html, http://building.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=124
- If you want to use the Bergen car, you need a CERN drivings license. Bring your drivings licence and go to the ALICE secreteriat. They will scan this in and request it for you. To get the CERN driving license, you need security course level 1+2, see below.
To do shifts
- You need a security course, this you can do online: (http://sir.cern.ch).
- Request access for the control room in edh: https://edh.cern.ch --> Access Request. NB: You need a special EDH-password to be able to request, you can get this from AIS-support (Call 78888 when at CERN).
The rooms to request are: ALI-ACR and ALI-COF.
- Have a look into the TPC&TRD shiftguide: http://www-linux.gsi.de/~garabat/meu/ShiftGuide.pdf
- HLT shiftguide: https://alihlt-gw0.cern.ch/doc/manuals/operator-manual.pdf
- Book your shifts as: https://alicesms.cern.ch/
- Remember to take a shift course and book the necessary shadow shifts.
- You will need access to the ALICE logbook (https://alice-logbook.cern.ch), ask the run coordinator for access.
Dominik 12:44, 1 September 2009 (UTC)