My Space - File storage - administration
Make files and links available in the File Storage system.
Go to File Storage. There, you can view the folders for the class or community. The folder names are standard, but they can be easily changed by selecting Edit Folder, or Delete This Folder.
In File Storage, you can for example, upload old exam assignments, solutions, PowerPoint presentations from lectures etc. In addition, it is possible to make URLs available. It is also possible to add or delete catalogues and give catalogues new names. To add files, do the following:
- Click File Storage
- Choose the catalogue to which the file is to be added
- Then click Add File
- Browse for and select the desired file
- Enter the name of the file
- Entering a description of the contents is optional
- Administrators can choose whether a description linked to a file in the File Storage will be shown to students.
- The description is automatically shown to students unless you actively select "No"
- If there are several versions of the file, it is always the description linked to the last version of the file that is shown.
- Click OK
- The file has now been made available to all students who are members of the class or community, and it is accessible in File Storage.
The administrator can upload individual files of up to 100 megabytes. For students (others), the limit is 8 megabytes.
Note:Use file formats that can be opened using standard software.
In principle, only those with administrator rights can add files (and URLs) in File Storage. In order to give students write access to a folder in File Storage, open the folder in question and select Modify permissions on this folder - Read only/ Both Read and Write Access.
NOTE: Please note that when the students are given both read and write access to a folder, they can change and delete files in the folder, including files that others have made available. We therefore recommend that you always use the Assignment applet (see Assignment for more information) for the submission of student assignments etc.
Edit the description of a file
You can edit or remove the description of a file in the file storage.
- Click on the file’s “properties”
- Click on “Edit description”
- Edit the text and click “Change” to save the changes.
Upload revised version of a file
It is possible to upload a new version of a file in the filestorage, without deleting former versions. The members will only be able to see the last uploaded version (as long as they do not have administrative rights to the folder).
- Select "properties" for the file to revise in the column to the right
- Select "Upload Revision" and follow the procedure for uploading a file
- You may change the title
- The Description field can be used for revision comments. (Comments will be visible in the file storage only if "Show description" is selected)
- Click OK
The last version is now at the top of the list and older versions can be deleted if preferred. (Remember that only the last version is shown to members).
Select "Back to folder view". The last version is shown in the file storage.
Upload more than one file at a time
You can upload more than one file at a time (Multiple Files) if the files are compressed in a ZIP file (this can be done in the file storage system on most PCs). Follow the procedure described above, but, instead of entering the name, tick the box for “This is a ZIP file containing multiple files which are to be unzipped". (Note that the name and contents field are grey.) Click OK and the file will automatically be unzipped in the file storage system.
Move/Copy files between folders and classes
You can move/copy several files at a time between folders and classes.
NOTE: There are built-in restrictions for deleting, moving and copying files in and from the Assignment folders (the Learning Folder, Assessment Folder and Master’s Thesis Folder). See the section on Assignment for more information.
- Open the folder and tick the files that are to be moved or copied.
- Select Move or Copy.
- Select the folder and any sub-folder to which you wish to move the files.
- Select Move here